Monday, January 14, 2008

Get out and enjoy nature with some winter hiking

The weather has been decent so why not dust off those Nikes and get out and enjoy nature. I recently enjoyed the Yough River Trail between Cedar Creek Park (near Belle Vernon) and Smithton. Even in winter it is beautiful and I can't wait to see it in springtime. This section contains a marker for the location of the Port Royal Mine shafts and remembrance of the disastrous explosion due to a buildup of damp gas occurring in the early 20th century. Several miners were entombed and many would be rescuers killed. Interestingly, I also read that there had been three mine tunnels under the river connecting the mines on either side, something I had heard about but thought was just legend.

This sight has nice facilities, mostly closed for the season, but has pit toilets still open to the adventuresome. There is seasonal bike rental, camping, a trail shelter and boat access. A very nice area I plan to explore further next weekend when I hike the Cedar Creek Gorge Trail. The marker says there is a century old apple tree to see along the trail to reward my efforts.

There are not a lot of hikers out this time of year so trails are peaceful and quiet, just me and my dog. So why don't you get out there and enjoy it too. And if you need someone to hike with, drop me a line. See you on the trails.

No comments: